Thursday, May 5, 2011

There is a Change in the wind...

Losing six pounds this month, was bittersweet. While I'm glad I went down, it wasn't my goal. It only motivates me to push harder and shoot for my next goal.

Finally...I am a senior in college...I NEVER thought this year would come, and what an amazing year it is going to be. I am 23 this year, and I have high hopes. This is the year I will start thinking more seriously about my impending "adulthood". After this year I will be thrown to the wolves as I move out of my mom's house. She has been nothing but gracious and supportive of me in everything I do. I'll meet new people, start new relationships and end old ones. I'll laugh, cry, and love all at once. I will hold onto this last year as one that lacks any responsibility, soaking up each moment of it. Senior year is going to be the time of my life, I'm sure of it. I have the most wonderful friends in the world, who are ALWAYS there when I need them.

There is a Nike Ad that I find myself trying to live by these days:
"Life isn't about keeping score. It's not about how many people call you, and it's not about who you've dated, are dating, or haven't dated at all. it isn't about who you kissed, what sport you play, or which guy or girl likes you. Its not about your shoes or your hair or the color of your skin or where you live or go to school. In fact, its not about grades, money, clothes, or colleges that accept you or not. Life isn't about if you have lots of friends, or if you are alone, and its not about how accepted or unaccepted you are. Life just isn't about that. But life is about who you love. and who you hurt. It's about how you feel about yourself. It's about trust, happiness, and compassion. It's about sticking up for your friends and replacing inner hate with love one else's in a way that could never have been achieved otherwise." - Nike


As I get older, I see myself changing into this person I have never known before, someone who is stronger than the person she was yesterday. I am finding the things I cared and worried about last year, aren't even on my plate in the present. I am learning that life doesn't pan out the way I thought when I was 12...which at 12, I thought I would be old, married, and have 2 kids and a dog by 25. However, at 23, I don't see those things happening in the next two years, and I couldn't be happier about it. Looking back on the tears that I have shed over the years, I realized they were meant to mold me into the person I am becoming today. Good things come and go, as well as the bad. I see that the real friends, the ones who truly matter, give the best advice. They don't tell you what you want to hear, even though they understand, they tell you what you need to hear (the advice you don't want to know). Marilyn Monroe has one of the best life quotes, that I personally feel, every girl, woman, young lady should live by at least for one time period in their life.

"This life is what you make it. Not matter what, you're going to mess up sometimes, it's a universal truth. But the good part is you get to decide how you're going to mess it up. Girls will be your friends - they'll act like it anyway. But just remember, some come, some go. The ones that stay with you through everything - they're your true best friends. Don't let go of them. Also remember, sisters make the best friends in the world. As for lovers, well, they'll come and go too. And babe, I hate to say it, most of them - actually pretty much all of them are going to break your heart, but you can't give up because if you give up, you'll never find your soul mate. You'll never find that half who makes you whole and that goes for everything. Just because you fail once, doesn't mean you're gonna fail at everything. Keep trying, hold on, and always, always, always believe in yourself, because if you don't, then who will, sweetie? So keep your head high, keep your chin up, and most importantly, keep smiling, because life's a beautiful thing and there's so much to smile about."
— Marilyn Monroe

I live by this, I couldn't have said it better myself. Anytime I am feeling bad I read this, and I am reminded that I am special and that at the end of the day I have to be happy with myself rather than with others. This year is going to be great, I see so much change coming in my future. I see love, laughter, and life coming at me with full force and a new chapter beginning to be written. I am excited to lose more weight and meet this new Elizabeth that I have never known.

"I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

No comments:

Post a Comment